Location: Bourke St, Melbourne
Opened: May, 1870
Designed by architect Charles Webb, who won the design competition in 1868, Royal Arcade is one of the most treasured relics in inner Melbourne. Taking 11 months to construct, the Arcade was opened by Lord Mayor Charles Amess.
In 1892, the famous Gaunt's clock and statues of Gog and Magog were added. The sculpture still chimes hourly throughout the arcade. 10 years later, an annex was added to link the arcade to Elizabeth Street.
The land was purchased by Simon Staughton in 1855 for 650 pounds, 100 years later the Staughton family would sell the land nearly $550,000. The arcade was restored in 2002-2004, including the addition of a skylight to add natural light.